You give me a cookie, I'll give you a cookie
Welcome to the Cookie Mobster's forum. Please sign in, post on our forums, join us in the chat, or even get initiated into the clan.
Welcome to the Cookie Mobster's forum. Please sign in, post on our forums, join us in the chat, or even get initiated into the clan.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A clan led by Italian_Boy1Up and aHERDofGNOMES

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inFacebookYoutubeTwitter
Cookies have disbanded, please contact Italian_Boy1Up at theheartbreakers.tk or cakelair.net for more information.

Blizzard To End Anonymous Forum Logins

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
SoulOfCake
Corporal
Corporal
SoulOfCake

Silver Dollars : 5106
Kudos : 2

Blizzard To End Anonymous Forum Logins Empty
PostSubject: Blizzard To End Anonymous Forum Logins   Blizzard To End Anonymous Forum Logins I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 7:48 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/10543100.stm

Quote :
A row has erupted after Blizzard - the publishers of the popular online game World of Warcraft - announced that users on its site forums would have to post under their real names.

The firm say the move is to put an end to heated online arguments and topics started purely to cause trouble.

But users reacted angrily, citing concerns about safety and privacy.

Blizzard said they would start implementing the changes over the next few months.

A post, by Vameras - one of the site community managers - said that the forums had become " a place where flame wars, trolling and other unpleasantness run wild".

"Removing the veil of anonymity typical to online dialogue will contribute to a more positive forum environment, promote constructive conversations, and connect the Blizzard community in ways they haven't been connected before," the post continued.

People talk
Blizzard new system - Real ID - means that users will have to post under their real first and last name.

The firm said it will implement the changes over the next few weeks, with the StarCraft II forums - a section dedicated to the forthcoming real time strategy game - making the switch by the end of the month. The World of Warcraft forum will change soon after.

Continue reading the main story
Within five minutes, users had got hold of his telephone number, home address, photographs of him and a ton of other information

Jim Brand
Gamer
In addition to users now posting under their own names, the site will allow others to rate post and interact with other users, creating a "social-networking platform".

"As the way gamers interact with one another continues to evolve, our goal is to ensure Battle.net is equipped to handle the ever-changing social-gaming experience for years to come," the post by Vameras went on.

The online community was swift to respond, with almost a thousand replies in less than 24 hours; the majority of which expressed their displeasure at the move.

"I can't even begin to fathom why you would do this", posted one user, while another wrote that it seems "like someone who likes Facebook came up with it, while being blissfully unaware that an awful lot of people deliberately avoid Facebook".

Real worlds
One World of Warcraft player, Jim Brand, contacted BBC News to say how disappointed he was over the change.

"I have been using the forums for over five years, reporting bugs and trying to be helpful. Now, to have the privilege to help people on the forums I have to reveal my real name; I'm dead against it," he said.

"I work in a charity and deal with governments officials. If they do a search and see I am a gamer, it could affect my employment prospects," he added.

Although most social networking sites have links to a person's real world name, gaming sites have always used anonymous handles.

There have been a few rare cases of online gaming disputes spilling out into the real world, and users are mostly reluctant to reveal personal details, given that video games can sometimes elicit strong emotions.

Mr Brand said that one Blizzard employee posted his real name on the forums, saying that there was no risk to users, and the experiment went drastically wrong.

"Within five minutes, users had got hold of his telephone number, home address, photographs of him and a ton of other information," said Mr Brand

The post and topic has since been removed from the Blizzard forum.

It's funny because this news came right around the time I heard about Italian dealing with his recent issue. Personally I think this is a retarded move on Blizzard's part... What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard To End Anonymous Forum Logins   Blizzard To End Anonymous Forum Logins I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 11:34 am

Its great, they are a corporation and don't wanna deal with people being uncivil bastards. People will just find another forum and they can trash it all they want.
Back to top Go down
droolybear
General
General
droolybear

Silver Dollars : 5258
Kudos : 11

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard To End Anonymous Forum Logins   Blizzard To End Anonymous Forum Logins I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 2:33 am

yeah, you are being forced to be accountable for your actions on the forum. but it's equally irritating because people who are being civil and posting on the forum are also being forced to reveal their identity. and now the core problem is being exposed - that people are generally too free with information on the interwebs. and blizz is using that against you, since it will scare you into being civilized.

there are probably a few edge cases of "high profile" people from various industries playing, but i doubt they are spending any time posting on the forums anyway. i think most people who will be affected are casual people who don't know any better and are easily trolled, females, or people who accidentally ninja looted, ganked, or stole your mob and you want to retaliate by sending 1000 pizzas to their house.

RealID didn't cause this problem, obviously, but i think it's a little short sighted myself. but the people who spend time posting on WoW forums are either trolls, lurkers, LARPERs, perverts, /b/tards, attention whores, or general idiots so maybe they can just cannibalize themselves into oblivion*** Smile

**** disclaimer: i used to post on wow forums, i probably fit into 3 or more of those categories.
Back to top Go down
Italian_Boy1Up
Admin
Admin
Italian_Boy1Up

Silver Dollars : 8557
Kudos : 143

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard To End Anonymous Forum Logins   Blizzard To End Anonymous Forum Logins I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 9:41 am

What's a LARPER? >.<
Back to top Go down
http://www.cookiemobsters.com
droolybear
General
General
droolybear

Silver Dollars : 5258
Kudos : 11

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard To End Anonymous Forum Logins   Blizzard To End Anonymous Forum Logins I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 2:02 pm

Live Action Role Player! STAY IN CHARACTER, ITALY!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard To End Anonymous Forum Logins   Blizzard To End Anonymous Forum Logins I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Blizzard To End Anonymous Forum Logins
Page 1 of 1